Monday, July 2, 2012

Too Long, but Back...Strawberry Shortcake Cake

Hello everyone!! It has been way to long since I've last had a food post. Life has been...well its been busy. There has been quite a few things and changes that have happened and work is keeping me busy, but thankfully I have a job.

I have been thinking a lot that I am ready to get my life going. Not that it hasn't but I need to focus on making things better and trying to figure out what I really want to do. I will still continue to blog and hopefully show you guys good dishes.

I asked on Facebook if I should feature a savory dish or a sweet dish and sweet won. So I am really excited to show you guys this recipe. It is perfect for the summer and oh so good! Its from Pioneer Woman and I actually saw this about a year ago and haven't made it until recently.

This sweet dish is a Strawberry Shortcake. This was really good. I love strawberries and the cake matched it perfectly. The cream cheese frosting is divine too. Its sweet, and has a vanilla flavor that matches the cake very well. I think this would also work well with a whipped cream (cool whip type) of frosting.The Pioneer Woman has great photos of all the steps so click the link to see them if you need to.  I really hope you guys try this, its simple and perfect for the summer.



I tried making a whipped cream frosting, which turned out pretty good, it wasn't sturdy enough to hold the layers together.

This iw what you want by poking the holes, you want the juice to sink into the cake.

This is how you make it.

Ingredients/recipe

Adapted from The Pioneer Woman


1-1/2 cup Flour
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
9 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Softened
1-1/2 cup Sugar
3 whole Large Eggs
1/2 cup Sour Cream, Room Temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Frosting Adapted from Annie Eats

10 oz. cream cheese, chilled
6½ tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
3¼ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
4 tsp. vanilla extract

For the cake:


Grease two 9 inch cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Don't forget to spray or grease the parchment paper.  (I didn't have a 2 inch deep one, so I found this worked well).


Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and corn starch. Next, cream 9 tablespoons butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well each time. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just barely combined. DO NOT OVER MIX!

Pour the batter into two 9-inch cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until it is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from cake pan as soon as you pull it out of the oven, and place on a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely, about 1 hour.

While the cake is baking, stem the strawberries and slice them in half. Place into a bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir together and let sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, mash the strawberries. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoons sugar and allow to sit for another 30 minutes. Mash one more time than divide them.

While the cake is cooling go head and make the frosting by mixing the cream cheese with the butter until combined. Slowly add the sifted confectioner's sugar. Once combined add the vanilla extract.

When the cake is cool, place one cake on a cake plate so the bottom is facing up. I poked a few holes in it with a wooden spoon. Take one half of your strawberries and some of its juice and put on top. Place in the frezzer for 30 mintures to chill so the strawberries don't move as much when you put on the icing. Do the same with the second cake.

After the cakes have chilled, take some of the frosting and spread it over the strawberries on the bottom cake. Top the bottom cake with the top layer, spreading the icing over the strawberries carefully. Once the top is covered, put the frosting on the sides of the cake.

Serve the cake chilled and store the cake in the fridge.

I hope you guys try this and as always, Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment