Saturday, January 7, 2012

You wanna Pizza me?!


Hello everyone! So I really don’t know what made me choose that title, maybe it was the cranberry wine, or maybe it was me being my silly self. How has your weekend been so far? Have you cooked anything major for dinner or breakfast? This morning I made homemade waffles, OMG so good. I cannot wait to share that recipe with you, I’m so excited!

Did you see my awesome new header? It was designed by my best friend Nancy. So a MAJOR Thank You to her! I love it. It’s very much me in so many ways. Thank you again.

I have talked about making pizza dough before and how I like to throw pizza parties where everyone brings the toppings and I make the dough (which you have to try it is so much fun!) so I thought about sharing another pizza dough recipe. This lovely recipe comes from Brown Eyed Baker, one blog I talk about a lot.  I loved this dough. It was soft inside and had a nice crisp crust outside. I didn’t have a pizza stone so I baked it using my normal pizza pan. I left it in a tad longer to make sure the dough was crisp on the bottom. I also used 2 cups of whole wheat flour to bump up the fiber and to be a little more heath conscious. 

For the toppings I went Hawaiian style and used Canadian bacon and pineapple. If you decided to go with this topping, just top to your liking. So good, so good. If you have never tried it, try it you might like it.  Here is the recipe for the dough, and top which every way you like and try the pizza party you might just enjoy it!

Proofing
rolled out and ready to top


bake away pizza

I really wish I had left overs

yum-o

You can't really tell, but the crust is crisp


Ingredients/recipe

Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker Basic Pizza Dough (go here to see how to mix by hand and for original recipe)

1/2 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
1 envelope (about 2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
1 1/4 cups water, at room temperature
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting work surface and hands
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Olive oil or nonstick cooking spray for oiling the bowl

1. Measure warm water in a measuring cup and sprinkle in the yeast and let stand until the yeast proofs about 5 minutes. Add the room-temperature water and oil and stir to combine.

2. Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle. Combine the dry ingredients at low speed. Add the liquid ingredients and continue to mix at low speed until it combines. Stop the mixer and replace the paddle with the dough hook. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Form the dough into a ball, put it in a deep oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Press the dough to deflate it.

3. Cut dough into thirds and save one half for later. Heat oven to 475 (I do not have a pizza stone). Let dough rest for about 10 minutes. Roll out dough into the shape you want and lightly brush EVOO over the top. Top with whatever toppings you like and put in the oven and bake between 9-13 minutes. If the topping is cooking to quickly cover the top with tinfoil. When the cheese is bubbly and brown to your liking, take out of the oven and let rest for a few minutes and cut into pieces and enjoy!

I LOVED this pizza dough. I have been looking for a pizza dough that I really enjoy and this is it. I loved the crisp crust and the soft inside. This pizza was delish and I hope you have time to try!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment