Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Doctor's Orders and Fake Out Gyros

Hello everyone! How are you? So on Monday I talked about going to the Doctors just for a quick physical, and to go over some blood work I had done last week. I am glad to say that I am pretty healthy.  There are two things that I have to work on though. My cholesterol and my sugar levels. My doctor told me I am pre-diabetic. 

I’m not surprised though I have been eating a ton of sweets lately. I love sweets. I really need to practice what I preach though, everything in moderation. While I should stop at one cupcake, I have 3 or four lol (mini ones). Thankfully, my sugar levels were not out of this world, so I should be able to get it back down under 100.  Diabetes does run in my family on both sides, but with proper diet I should be able to get it under control.

Next is my cholesterol. This also runs on both sides of my family so this one might be a little harder to control. My good cholesterol levels are really well, but my bad cholesterol is still high. My doctor wants me to watch what I eat, and workout.  He also wants me to lose a few pounds, which is crazy to me because I’m pretty skinny.

Thankfully I eat pretty healthy and have adapted a healthy lifestyle years ago. I have slacked off on working out these past few weeks, but I am excited to get back into it.

I know I have talked your ear off with this, but I want to encourage everyone to go for your yearly checkup if you haven’t already and remember everything in moderation. Also hit the gym, the streets whatever and enjoy a walk or jog or even lifting weights. 30 minutes will do your body wonders.

Like I said before I LOVE sweets, and I am going to still have one or two and there are so many sweets I want to show you guys.

For now how about a fake out meal? Fake out Gyros! What, what what?! Yep fake out gyros and this couldn’t be easier!
                                                                                                 
I saw this in a Kraft magazine and was so excited to try it. Now let’s get a few things straight. While this will remind you of gyros, there is no lamb in it. It actually uses a Boca burger. Now I know what you are thinking, how could a meatless burger take place of a gyro meat, but trust me it does. Meatless burgers have come a long way. If you do not like the meatless burger here are a few other options; You can try the meatless chicken patty, a turkey burger or just make full on burgers. The choice is yours, I’m not looking.


One of my sides split, so be careful when stuffing


Ingredients/recipe

Adapted from Kraft

2 whole wheat pitas split in half to make four
4 Boca meatless patties
1 head of romaine lettuce chopped
2 roma tomatoes chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
Feta Cheese

Tzatziki sauce adapted from Rachael Ray

1 container of Greek yogurt (a individual cup, it should be about a cup)
1 English cucumber, peeled and grated, drain any juice
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste

First make your tzatziki sauce by combining the yogurt, cucumber, coriander, zest and juice of the lemon and lime. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Next start by heating your Boca patties in the microwave following package directions. While you are heating the four patties, chop all your veggies and stuff each half of the pitas. Once the patties are heated, put in the pita bread and add your tzatziki sauce. Add your feta cheese and enjoy!

Serve with a nice fresh salad or veggies of your choice. I hope you guys like this and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment