Thursday, May 3, 2012

Spinach and Artichoke Tuna Melts

Hello! How is everyone this beautiful day! Well beautiful where I live. The sun is shining and its warm! I love it. I have the windows open and I am soaking this weather up before it cools off again. 

Is anyone doing anything for Cinco de Mayo? I a working, but we are giving a pot luck so I am trying to decide what to bring. I’ve been thinking of a veggie stroganoff, because I can make it in the crockpot, but I am still unsure.  I need something inexpensive but delicious. I know I am going to make a yellow cake so I am super excited about that. I will show that to you guys when I make it.

Today I have a super simple and healthy lunch or dinner. I saw this on the Rachael Ray show and was really happy when I had the ingredients to make it. This is a spinach and artichoke tuna Sammie! It has great flavors with the spinach and the artichokes plus the salt from the capers…yum! I actually made this open face to save a few calories. 





Here is how you do it:

Ingredients/Recipe

Adapted from Rachael Ray

3 cans tuna drained and flaked
1 can artichoke hearts in water (14 ounces), drained well and chopped
1 box thawed frozen chopped spinach (10 ounces) , drained well and pulled apart
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery hearts, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons capers, drained
TS of garlic powder
Pepper
4 whole wheat ciabatta rolls (I found mine at Wal-mart with a bakery)
2-3 TBS of EVOO
Slice of Mozzarella cheese
Tomato, for topping

Heat your broiler.

First, heat your spinach in the microwave, drain and pull it apart. Next drain and flake your tuna, place the spinach and tuna in a bowl. Drain your artichokes and chop them, add them to the bowl. Next add your capers, onion, celery, pepper and garlic powder.  Next add your lemon juice and EVOO and mix well.

Place the mixture on a ciabatta role, top with a slice of tomato and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Stick it under the boiler and toast the bread and melt the cheese, about 4-5 minutes. Take out and enjoy!
I really hope you guys try these they are so good! It’s like spinach and artichoke dip without the guilt! 

Have a great day and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment