Monday, July 18, 2011

Breakfast for Champions Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal


Happy Monday everyone! How was your weekend? Mine was very nice. I went to garage sales on Saturday and found these awesome books!!! 


I can’t wait to start making recipes from them to show you guys.
I also made a Breakfast for Champions! This is one of my favorite go to recipes for breakfast.  It’s healthy and so good.

I have always added extra liquid to my oatmeal and it always comes out creamy and looks like your getting more. Unfortunately I didn’t put two and two together to realize the liquid makes it expand more and that is why it looks like you are getting more.  

Hungry Girl did claim this on one of her shows so the credit goes to her.  

What you basically do is double the liquid. So if you are cooking on the stove top instead of one cup of water or milk for a half of cup of oatmeal you would add two cups.  Hungry Girl adds one cup of water and one cup of almond milk.  You can use normal milk too.  It takes about ten minutes. 

You can do this in the microwave if short on time.  This is how I do it. I add a few extra things to mine.  1 TBS of vanilla protein powder, 1 TBS of ground Flax Seed and a few pinches of cinnamon. These are all optional.  

The best part of it though comes from the topping.  Today I am making a Peanut Butter and Jelly oatmeal.
My camera was dying on these pictures so I didn’t get a good last picture of the swirl at the end.  I really hope you try this it is really good. 






Here is my recipe adapted from Hungry Girls Growing Oatmeal Bowl.

½ cup of Oatmeal (I add about ¼ cup more b/c I'm a hungry boy)
1 cup of water
¾ cup of Almond Milk (I know it is a little shy of the two cups, but it still comes out the same)

The next 3 you do not have to add if you don’t have on hand
1 TBS of Protein Powder
1 TBS of Ground Flax Seed (good for the heart)
A few pinches of cinnamon 

1 ½ TBS of Peanut Butter
1 TBS of any Jelly you like or have on hand (you can use fresh fruit instead if you have that on hand)

Add all your ingredients to a bowl. Add you liquids and stir well. Microwave on High for 3 minutes watching it after 1 minute.  This mixture will rise up and spill over if you do not watch so please make sure you are watching!  When it rises stop the cooking, stir and start heating again.  If after 3 minutes you still have quite a bit of liquid, at 30 seconds intervals heat then stir watching so it doesn’t spill over.  Do this until you get your desired consistency.  Top with Peanut Butter and Jelly, swirl in and let cool before eating. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment