Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pizza Dough Part 1

Hello everyone!! How's it going?  I know I broke my promise and did not post a new recipe yesterday. Work was a little rough and crazy and when I got home I was tired.  Have you every had one of those days?


Now for food. I am always looking for a good pizza dough. I have tired a few recipes before and I found some I like, but I am still looking for one I LOVE. When I lived in L.A I used to throw pizza party's all the time. I would make the dough and tell people to bring the toppings. It was a ton of fun and very interactive and it gets your guests involved.

I found a new recipe while searching for coupon deals a few weeks ago and decided to try it.  You can find the original recipe here: My Litter Pizza Dough

What I liked about this pizza dough is you don't have to wait for the dough to rise. You just kneed it and have at it.

First gather your ingredients for your dough, Flour, Salt, Yeast, Warm Water, Oil and your toppings. I used a yellow and red pepper, a onion, garlic and olives.I used half whole wheat flour for this recipe.



Let your yeast proof for 5 minutes. I added a Tablespoon of honey to my mixture.  Next take your dry ingredients and mix them in a bowl putting a well in the center.

 Mix until the dough pulls away from the sides (sorry it is not the greatest picture) then kneed on a floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth. Roll your pizza dough out into the shape you want.

Bake your dough at 500 for 5 to 7 minutes until brown. Take out your pizza and turn the oven down to 425.  Top with what ever your heart desires. I used a homemade marinara sauce and then all the veggies mentioned before and then lots of cheese.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and brown.  Wait a few minutes before slicing, this helps everything stay together. Slice and serve and you have delicious pizza.


I really enjoyed this dough and I would try it again, but I think next time I am going to use all white four and not mix it.  I am also going to top the pizza with cheese then the veggies. I wanted a more roasted taste for them and I didn't get that with the way I topped mine.

It was very simple and easy to make and if you don't have time to wait for the yeast to rise, then this is great for you.  I hope you guys try this at your next pizza party or family pizza night. Get the kids involved let them put the toppings on and have fun!

Here is my recipe adapted from My litter Pizza Dough


Homemade Pizza Dough
1 1/2 c. warm water
2 tsp. yeast
1 TBS Honey
1 tsp salt
1 T oil
3 c. flour (1 cup Whole Wheat flour, 2 cups White Flour)
Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme oregano) Finally chopped

To make the dough, Dissolve the yeast  and honey in warm water (110 - 115 degrees) for 5 minutes. In another bowl add salt, oil 3 cups of flour, fresh herbs finally chopped  and beat until well blended and smooth. Mix until the dough pulls away from the bowl. Knead until smooth. Do not allow to rise. Roll out to desired thickness, I like a thick crust.

Place in 500 degree oven, on bottom rack and bake about 5min. until slightly brown. Take out dough and turn the oven to 425. Top with sauce and toppings and put back in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment