Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A nice warm up to and Chili


It is crazy how this weather changes all the time. I swear the weather person is never right. Does this happen to you? The weather person says one thing and it ends up being totally different. All well. I am enjoying this nice warm up. I have always liked warmer weather.

So I told you before that I am obsessed with pumpkin. There are so many pumplin (see my last post) recipes I want to make and try. My bookmark list goes on and on. I had a meeting today and I kept thinking about new dishes I can try, and of course a lot of them where pumpkin lol.

But I am not going to give a pumpkin recipe today, I am going to wait because I want to show you a really good chili recipe. This is a slight version of my Dads chili, which I will show you guys when the weather gets colder.

I also am just going to go on a slight tangent and encourage everyone to try something new, or don’t let fear get in your way of blocking something you want to do. I have been having that problem lately. I keep thinking I can’t do something but I know it is just fear. If I don’t take that first step and try how will I ever know if I am doing something right? So this week I have been taking on my fear and trying something different. I will expand on this more later, but this is my encouragement to you. Try something new, and take over your fear.

Now to the recipe. I made a veggie chili this week for the first time and I must say it was delicious. I really do try to keep all my recipes super simple and inexpensive and this one fits the bill. I also found out that going veggie once in a while is not so bad. I hope you guys like this one!
Let those mushrooms brown then add onions and fresno, Don't add salt until those mushrooms borwn

beans, yummy

tomatoes yum-o

seasonings and simmer

perfect...

wait wait wait, the cheese makes it perfect delish!


Recipe---Veggie Chili

Ingredients:
1 pt of Mushrooms (any kind you like)
1 onion
1 fresno pepper
1 can of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 can of stewed tomatoes
2 12oz cans of tomato sauce

Season:
1 tbs of cumin
1 tbs of chili powder
1 tbs of garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Place mushrooms in a large pot with 2 tbs of EVOO. Sauté until brown (do not salt yet). Once brown and your onion and fresno pepper, cook until tender. While the mushrooms are browning rinse your cans of beans. When the onion and fresno pepper are tender and your beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir. If it is very thick, add a can of water (I used my tomato sauce can). Add your seasoning, taste and add more if desired. Let simmer and keep adding water if the chili becomes to thick for your liking.

Now you can simmer as long as you would like. The longer you let it simmer the more flavorful it will get. You could cook it for 30 minutes and dig in, it’s your choice. I waited about 25 minutes and took out a bowl for myself and then let it simmer a little longer.

For me the seasonings where spot on. You can play around with any veggies you like or means or even canned tomatoes. This is just a basic chili, but it is super delicious and would be perfect for any night of the week.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment