Monday, March 12, 2012

Warm weather and a Italian Salad


I am loving this weather! I am not sure where you guys live, but here in the Midwest we are having a very mild winter. It is close to spring, but it’s not quite here yet. Yesterday was in the upper 60’s and today is about the same with some rain. I love the warm weather and I love the time change, because it stays lighter so much longer now. My only downfall is my sinuses don’t know what to do because of this up and down weather
.
I’m going to start this week off with a great salad. It is an Italian salad that I saw on The Sandwich Guy. I made this for a pot-luck because I wanted to do more than just bake something, which I love to do. I left out a few ingredients here and there, but it went over very well. I also made meatballs, but I will show that another time. I made the dressing for it too, but changed it to a mustard vinaigrette because I didn’t like the taste of dressing by itself. This is a delicious salad and there is pasta in it, but you could skip it, for me it didn’t make a difference. 

There was some great food!!

I am really bad at forgetting to get pictures, but here is what it looks like. Trust me it tastes great!




Ingredients/Recipe

Adapted from Jeff Mauro

Sweet Italian Mustard Dressing: 
1/2 cup red wine vinegar-I added a little more
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
2-3 tablespoons of mustard-or to taste 

Salad:
2 cups ditalini pasta, cooked al dente and cooled
2 hearts romaine, chopped
1/4 small head red cabbage, chopped
1/4 head iceberg, chopped
4 roma tomatoes
1/2 small red onion, minced

Put all your dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend. Taste to make sure your seasonings are right and adjust if needed.

Next add all your salad ingredients and mix. Add your dressing if eating right away or serve on the side. 

You could also use any dressing if you like. You can serve chicken or pork chops on the side or just use this as a side salad. 

I hope you guys like this one and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment